Time magazine's annual 100 most influential people list was released this weekend and I quickly scanned the list. It's funny how along the way I've encountered closely or remotely some of these folks.

Elizabeth Gilbert - She wrote the book "Eat Pray Love" - an autobiographical journey after her divorce. I had lunch with her about a year ago before she exploded in popularity. She was incredibly humble and enlightening who emitted a positive light. She made me realize that after a traumatic event like divorce, you can find love again and live life even better.

Mehmet Oz - He's the new Dr. Phil or the current doctor on the Oprah Winfrey show. He's a world famous heart surgeon and the author of many consumer health books. A couple years ago, I was a keynote speaker at a conference and he was the other keynote speaker. At the time, I did not know who he was until someone at work told me that he's a famous doc on the Oprah Winfrey show.

Larry Brilliant - The good doctor heads up Google.org, the philanthropy arm of some search engine. Without revealing much, I've had some direct interactions related to some initiatives.

Chris Rock - This would be in the remote category as in I just saw him perform at MSG this past Thursday night. He's still got it. Usually a comic's best stuff is from his earlier years but the man is still going strong. He didn't have to dip into the archives to keep the laughs going. I was impressed by how contemporary his stuff was which means he's a comic genius. His delivery was classic.

Hopefully I'll get on the list in the next decade.

0 comments: